Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Count Your Blessings

Today was another good day for Bode. He has been so content the last few days! He should be screaming since he probably feels so hungry, but he isn't! I had a total eye opener earlier today. I was in the waiting area checking my email and another parent asked me how my baby is doing. I told him Bode is doing great and things are going really well. I asked him how his baby was doing, and he said that she was probably going to pass away sometime today or tomorrow. I felt awful. I had no idea what to say and it really made me feel lucky that Bode will be just fine with no long term side effects. Every Wednesday they have a lunch and presentation for all NICU parents. Today was our first one and we watched a presentation about Children with special needs. None of this presentation applied to us and again made us realize how lucky we really are. It's easy to think why did this happen to us? How are we going to afford this? Why is this so hard? But after today, I am feeling So grateful and so humbled. During this lunch they had a drawing for 6 little outfits. Three were girl ones, and three were boy. Clint's name was drawn for the last outfit. The lady said, "Is your baby a girl or a boy?" Clint said, "boy." The lady was relieved her last outfit was a boy and brought it over to us. Clint said, "That is supposed to be a boy outfit?!" I was so embarrassed and told him he shouldn't be making comments like that!!! Here is the outfit and Clint just being disgusted. He told me that Bode will never wear it because it's for a girl. Everyone in the room got a good laugh. People donate hand made hats and blankets and things for NICU babies and we got this cute little hat. He is just adorable with it on. It's a bit big, but he is a giant for being in there with all the other premies and all the other hats were way too small.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

So sad about your friends' baby who may pass soon. :( We're all lucky to have healthy kids!

Is it bad I think that little yellow outfit is actually cute for a boy?! Clint is so funny - I can just hear him causing a ruckus about it in front of the other parents! Haha!

Mama Smors said...

i just laughed and cried all in the same post. first of all, i can't imagine all that you see in the NICU (it has to be heartbreaking. secondly, clint's face is so funny!!! and greg always says his son (if he has one) will not wear ducks- and yellow i guess equals ducks. husbands are funny!
love the pic of Bode smiling with his hat!

kristen said...

awww..that little smile...sooo cute!

Ed & Natasha said...

Love the picture of him in the hat.....beautiful boy - he looks so happy.

Katie S said...

I'm glad he's doing better! I love the hat and the picture.

It is a humbling thing to be surrounded by people who are somewhat in the same boat, or even worse off. thanks for this post!

The Aullman Family said...

that little hat is so cute! it's nice that you have a support system that is helping you get through. it's sad that things don't work out sometimes for everyone, but it's comforting to know that no matter what happens we can enjoy the memories and look forward to the future. bode is your little miracle and it's such a blessing to have him.