Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mother’s Day Fishin’

Warning: This is a long post!!

Friday afternoon before Mother’s Day we headed back to Wyoming. Same place we stayed for Easter weekend. I wasn’t sure I could go bc I was getting over a nasty case of the stomach flu (thanks Bode for giving it to me!) I had been sick all night and although I was feeling so much better, I was so weak the day I was supposed to get ready and leave. I tried to get myself ready and I kept having to sit down. I tried packing and I’d have to lay down. It was very annoying! I was all dizzy and weak and clumsy. I debated back and forth if I should just stick it out or stay home.. I knew Clint wouldn’t be able to do much with Bode to look after (although he did offer to take him) and I was NOT going to stay home with Bode to watch all weekend. So I decided I’d be ok and stuck it out. I’m so glad I did! By that night I was feeling just fine, and the next morning I was back to normal.

Bode and I went swimming for a few hours while Clint fished that first night. Bode had a blast! He had 3 rapalas and a tennis ball he was throwing around loved making me go get them all. We ordered pizza in the hotel room (which was gross… I don’t recommend Scroungy Moose pizza from Kemmerer. Too bad it’s the ONLY place in town that delivers and I had no car.) I didn’t have much of an appetite anyway and Clint brought me back some of his dinner when he got back later that night. Clint and his friend Larry got into fish right at sunset and he was pretty stoked. Here are a few pictures he took.

IMG_1413

IMG_1387IMG_1345

We woke up and had breakfast at the hotel and then headed out to the Reservoir. It’s the most desolate place I’d ever seen! I keep wondering why it’s Clint’s favorite place??? Bode loved it and threw so many rocks into the water. We were there a few hours and he was happy as could be the entire time! Clint tied a rapala with out hooks onto the end of Bode’s line and he was in heaven, just fishing away. We didn’t have to worry about him hooking himself anywhere and it was pretty cute watching him try so hard to catch a fish.  I swear Bode is already turning into a fish head just like his daddy because he was such a good kid all day long…. obsessing over all the big big fish in the water. Clint got one fish and it was a pretty nice cutbow. Bode was so excited and kept saying, “I wanna hold that fish!” He was pretty sad when we had to let it go back home. haha.

IMG_7506w

IMG_7480w

IMG_7513w

After the reservoir we drove out to the River. We got the boat all ready to float and Clint’s friend followed him to drop off the truck down River and bring him back. It was just going to be a leisurely hour or so float and we ended up being on the river all day! It was about noon when we started and maybe 6:30 when we got back to the truck. Bode was an angel!!! He stayed right by me, mostly between my legs. I fished and Clint rowed and Bode tried to fish. He wouldn’t let that rapala out of his site and made sure it was in the water at all times! It was one of the best afternoons I’ve had in such a long time. I wasn’t expecting it to be so much fun! It was so nice just floating along and the River was so peaceful and beautiful. We stopped at one of Clint’s favorite little spots along the river. We stayed there maybe an hour and Clint caught 4 fish but only landed 2 (I think? My memory… ugh. It’s not good.) . He was pretty bummed when the 2 got away before he could net them. I have it on video and holy cow it’s so funny. He screamed into his arm one of the times. haha. Poor guy. It was SO windy and Bode almost got blown over a few times. He was so great though! He just kept throwing rocks and fishing and trucking along. He begged Clint to go into the water with him. Clint kept saying no and that it was too dangerous, but finally let him walk in. It scared Bode pretty good and he didn’t ask to go back in again!

IMG_7541w

IMG_7532w

IMG_7523w

IMG_7580w

IMG_7589w

IMG_7595w

Clint was pretty excited to have gotten into some nice fish and I’m sure he would have loved to stay at that hole all day. I was ready to get back in the boat and so was Bode. Clint was great and rowed the entire time. He was helping me to get into fish and telling me different things to do. He started freaking out about a fish he saw and asked if I could I see it. I couldn’t see it but he told me it was hanging around the surface and acting funny. He told me exactly where to cast and that I should reel it in fast and I got the fish! I don’t know who was more excited… Clint, me, or Bode. It was such a cool moment! We were freaking out and Clint was trying to be calm and tell me to give it some line, but not too much and to keep it tense and just all the stuff. I was so stressed out, especially since he had lost 2 fish before he could net them. I just wanted him to get the sucker in the net! He had to row the boat close to the shore so we wouldn’t float away from the wind and we had to make sure Bode was safe and not about to go overboard. Clint got out into the river and netted it for me. We high fived and carried on, it was seriously so much fun.

IMG_7604w

IMG_7610w

IMG_7611w

Bode was super happy and wanted to try for more fish. He was saying the funniest stuff! It was getting pretty late and he hadn’t had much to eat for lunch or had a nap. It was past dinner by this time and he was still happy as could be. Clint told him we were going to go find the truck and he was soo sad! He kept saying, “No! I wanna fish in the boat.” It was sooooo windy it was taking longer for us to get back than we thought. Bode asked for his sippy, which was in the cooler. After he started drinking that it was game over. He asked for his blanket and fell asleep right in my lap… in his waders and life jacket. I had to pry his little hand off his fishing pole, which was still in the water! Sleep fishing? Hmm. He slept maybe 20 minutes and we were back to the truck by that time. Clint got the boat unloaded and when it was time to get out Bode woke up all startled and started crying. He did NOT want to get off that boat. I lured him out by telling him he could watch a movie in the truck and he was ok after that.

IMG_7617w

IMG_7627w

Actually, he was more than ok. He was SO happy talking about all those “big big fish” and how he “frowed so many big rocks and baby rocks.”

 

It was one of the best days we’ve had in a really lone time! Once we got out of there and back to town it was about 7:30 or 8. We got dinner and then headed home. It was a long 3 and a half hour ride back and Bode was pretty cranky when he woke up really uncomfortable a few hours into it. All in all I ‘d have to say it was totally worth it!! Here’s to a life with a bunch of boys and a bunch of fishing trips!

signature2 copy

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Ok, Bode is his little waders has got to be the most adorable thing I have EVER seen! I'm glad you guys had so much fun! You look so happy in all the pictures. Good job catching your fish, too!

It makes me laugh at how different our lives are with our kids... You're fishing with your boys and I'm having tea parties with my girls!

Janae Arnett Scott said...

Good job catching that fish! and I love how you wore earrings on a fishing trip. Way to be!

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Sounds like a great time! You are such a good sport.