Saturday, July 18, 2009

Glitter Toes

If you are my blogging friend and not in Utah, then you probably have no idea what these are. You can go to some salons and get glitter toes. It's around $30-40 and they use a gel on top of the glitter so it's basically like acrylic nails on your toes and it lasts forever!! Some people say it even lasted 4-5 months before they had to chip it off their half grown out toes. My neighbor decided to do her own version and it works great! Me and a few other neighbors and their little girls all did our glitter toes in the front yard. When I saw how easy it was, and how cute it was.. I decided I better go out and get all my own stuff so I can do them whenever I want! Here are my toes: So I went to Roberts Craft Store and they didn't have the glitter I was looking for. I was on my way to Kelli's new place in Heber, so I went to Michaels in Orem and they had the glitter! You just buy any super fine glitter. Here is what I found. A little bit goes a very long way, so this was the smallest size I found. It came in a bunch of colors in these little plastic bags. It was like $3.50 for 16 colors of glitter, and I had all the other stuff already. I have an old MAC vial of glitter and it would have been ideal to find the glitter in glass vials, but I bought little plastic containers to put it in. This is how you do them on your own: Paint your toe with whatever color polish you want for under the glitter and let dry. Paint a second coat and while that is still wet, dump the glitter over it. Make sure to have a piece of paper under it so you can fold it in half later and save the excess glitter to put back in your container. Get the extra glitter off by tapping the top of your foot with your hand, and continue on to the next toe. It's easier to do them one at a time so the paint doesn't dry on you. After all toes are covered in glitter, paint a few top coats of clear and that's it! I have some tips left over from when I was doing acrylic nails in Beauty School, so I did some samples. I had so much fun seeing all the different colors.
I am a dork, so I numbered the buttom of the glitter containers, and put what number I used on each nail.
Since I had all the stuff, I figured I might as well do my sister Kelli's too. She is at the end of her pregnancy and loved having me do them for her! It was so much fun and hers turned out way cute. She picked out a neon pink polish and the white glitter. Here are hers.

Kaylan loved playing with everything in my nail kit and watching us, so I just had to paint her tootsies!
Isn't my niece adorable!!
So there you have it, GLITTER TOES! For a few dollars, I have enough stuff to do my own toes this way forever. :) My neighbor said hers always last at least a month or two.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Kaylan and I love our cute toes! Thanks again for doing mine! I had been wanting to re-do them forever but was dreading the whole bending over process with my huge 7 month prego belly in the way... :)

kristen said...

well... i love glitter toes. dang. yet another project to try. thanks for the idea!