Thursday, December 18, 2014

Grandma K

My sweet grandma passed away over the summer. It was actually on Clint's birthday, which is August 5th. She had a very beautiful service and I know she would have been tickled pink by all the people that came to show their love and support. She always loved a good funeral. Grandma wanted her grand kids and great grands to sing during the service. It was so hard for me to get through. I cried and covered my face in Owen's curls. Owen is so sweet and tenderhearted. He cried a lot that day and was uneasy with everyone being sad. He still mentions grandma all the time and asks questions about her. Bode misses her and will share stories of remember this one time... I love to hear their stories. I feel so lucky that my own boys were able to have so much time to spend with their great grandma. They knew her well and will always remember her, which makes me happy.

She was going downhill for quite some time, but it's never any less hard to know its coming. My mom and aunts tirelessly took care of her and my Grandpa during her home hospice period. What amazing daughters and sisters they are to be able to come together and have that time to care for my grandma. We visited her quite a few times, me and the boys. They would go sit on her bed and talk to her and tell her stories. 

I got word that her health was declining fast. I wanted to go and see her, but at the same time I didn't want to go either. I decided I better go, but this time not with the boys. I was able to sit down and talk with my grandma. I just received all my chatbooks (instagram photo books) and I brought them to show her. We flipped through the photos and she loved seeing what the boys had been up to. She told me that I was a wonderful mother and my boys were lucky to have me. It still makes me tear up! That was the last time I spoke to my grandmother. She got pretty incoherent after that. I visited one more time a few days later, and I was the last grandchild to see her alive. I will forever remember that visit where she was herself and I am so so glad that I went.

I will miss going to her house every few months to give her a "permanent" as she called them. She would fill me in on what was going on with all the cousins and other family members. She would also share stories with me that I had heard at least 100 times before. I would just wrap and roll and listen to her talk. I miss her so much. 

Love you forever grandma K.
 
















No comments: